Five Items to Consider Before Purchasing A CB Radio
As the Citizen Band (CB) entered its 60th year in 2018, a question arose. Do people still use CB radios in today’s world of high-speed broadband and smart devices? The answer is yes. If not, the specialists here at CB Radio Supply would have nothing to do during the day.
After its height of popularity in the 1970s, CB Radios didn’t go away. In fact, they remained an integral part of normal communication between truckers, utility workers, and emergency responders. In addition, the design of many models hasn’t changed much since their creation. This is why veteran truck drivers still rely on CBs for up-to-date information.
What About Your CB Radio?
Recently, you have considered making a CB radio purchase. Before you select a transceiver and antenna, you need to consider some important factors. If you go in without any knowledge, then you may get a unit that’s either too powerful or too weak for your purposes. To start you off, here are five items to consider before making a purchase.
- What will you use it for? Is it for continual communication while transporting materials across the nation’s interstates? If not, are you using it during your off-road trips? Or, is it going to be based at home?
- Who do you want to communicate with? Is this for local long-distance communications? If so, then you’ll need an antenna long enough for clear site-to-site transmissions not blocked by buildings and other tall items.
- Do you have enough room for installation? You should have enough space in your home or vehicle to properly install the CB radio so it doesn’t shift and lose connection with the antenna.
- Is it in your budget? Most CB radios run between $70 and $200 with a few that go beyond that range. You should also factor in an antenna as it might up the budget by as much as $100.
- What features do you want? Do you require both AM and Single Sideband (SSB)? What about a built-in Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) meter to check for clear antenna signals? These and other features can up the price of a radio that seems to be the right one for your purposes.
To get answers to some of these questions, speak to our experts at CB Radio Supply. They can guide you to the right components that fit your needs and budget.